Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
3/02/2007 09:42:00 AM | Author: Christa
When I was a child, there was a long shelf of Dr. Seuss titles in the children's room of the Saratoga Springs Public Library. (Well, there probably still is, but I haven't been there in a long time, so I can't really say. And, I'm not going to make it up. So, we'll just have to be content with what I remember from ::cough cough:: years ago.)

Anyway....like most of the children's section, the books were a mess - some on the floor, some on top of the bookshelves, and some actually on the shelf - but backwards or upside down. I was lucky to grow up in a library with children's librarians who believed in letting us run wild in the children's room. It was great having the freedom to explore and discover all the great books that were hidden there.

Why am I reminiscing about my childhood in a library? Because today, March 2, is Dr. Seuss' birthday! Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

But that's not all - there's more!

It's also "Read Across America" Day. This year is the 10th anniversary of the nationwide effort to celebrate the importance of reading.

And it gets even better!

This year is also the 50th birthday of The Cat in the Hat! Did you know that Dr. Seuss used only 236 different words to write The Cat in the Hat? To recognize this momentous event, there is a nationwide read-aloud of The Cat in the Hat scheduled for 2:36 p.m. ET this afternoon.

So, grab a copy of The Cat in the Hat, and a kid (preferably a kid you know)...or a friend or a sibling or a spouse or a significant other or whatever you have. Read it to them, or have them read it you!

So, what have I missed? Is there anything else going on today? What else do I have to celebrate?
This entry was posted on 3/02/2007 09:42:00 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.